04 August 2005

Beyond Diversity

So I was thinking, is it enough to celebrate diversity? I'm an Irish-American and my best friend is Mexican-America...so do we both celebrate the Feast of St Patrick and then Cinco de Mayo and leave it at that? I don't think so...and for the linguistically challenged among you wondering just what the mexican holiday is, Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with five different kinds of dressing and it's pronounced like my-oh not may-oh.

30 years or so ago, we were introduced to the concept of IDIC, Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination. Diversity itself is rather empty. So what if there is a diversity of treats...chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, pecans, etc. -- when things really start to happen is in the Infinite Combination. Now, I've been to an omelete house that serves a peanut butter and jelly omelete and I'm sure that that won't be for me...but mix peanut butter and chocolate on a wafer and I'm there! And of course each new combination itself is an element in a more diverse universe that can then be combined with something else.

So spread some caramel on your chocolate bar...and maybe add some nuts too. After all, America is supposed to be the great melting pot -- so start melting. (And if you need some help with that, come to Arizona where the heat will melt almost anything.)

No comments: