13 November 2005

Diana Gabaldon and Outlander

I've been reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I picked up the first one when my wife was reading it years ago and found it quite interesting, but being the geek I am switched back to technical books. Now, years later, I've pretty much stopped reading technical books, because I've decided that life's too short to do things you really don't enjoy unless you absolutely have to.

So, anyway, I'm reading these books, and find that while there are a few predictable spots...only as predictable as the characters, mind you...the majority of the plot twists come from out of the blue. At least it seems that way to me. In fact, I had to catch myself a few days ago as I was reading in a local pub while waiting for a friend and almost blurted out "OH MY GOD."

About the only other writer who has been able to do that to me is George R. R. Martin with his Song of Ice and Fire series...not even Tolkien did that to me...so if you haven't read the Gabaldon or Martin series, do yourself a favor and read them.

By the way, in case you're interested, Ms. Gabaldon told my wife that there are "at least two more" books in the series.

No comments: