01 September 2005

Humor

Ok, time for a little humor...given what's happened this week in Louisiana I think we could all use it.

I was in a meeting a few days ago and one of the managers said he was tired of everyone wasting time gossiping and the like and he thought we must all be lazy. He said that he would give the laziest person the day off...and asked that the laziest person on his team raise his or her hand. Everyone raised their hand but one guy...when the manager asked him why he didn't think he was lazy the guy replied "oh, I'm lazy, it was just too much trouble to raise my hand."

On a completely different topic, I've noticed in my years of experience in software development that almost every project (and at some organizations every project) has six phases in common. Now you're probably thinking something like "Defining System Requirements", "Developing Functional Specifications", "Establishing the Project Plan", et cetera...but what I'm talking about are the phases "Enthusiasm", "Disillusionment", "Panic", "Search for the Guilty", "Punishment of the Innocent", and "Praise and Honors for the Non-participants".

Here's hoping next week is better.

No comments: